Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vices

I didn't get my bike ride in, and I ate some birthday cake! So naughty. Can I tell you how hard it is to change your lifestyle. What I don't understand is how I can get off of a Phentanyl patch cold turkey, BUT I can't seem to stop my bad eating habits. Ahhh! So hard... For those of you who are wondering... After my gallbladder accident, the pain was intolerable. I tried many other ways to help control my pain, but there was no other options. My doctors recommended a pain patch. This would be better than taking pills. It would help cause I had a small steady stream and I wouldn't have problems with popping pills. I was grateful for this because on top of everything else I didn't need a drug addiction too! My husband and I decided that this would be a temporary thing till I could find a better way to help with my pain. My hubby was going to school full-time and working full-time as well. I had two little kids at home that needed their Mommy. So we felt that this would help me function. The pain was ever constant and pretty much incapacitated me. I needed some help. At first this was such a benefit. It truly helped. Because of the constant stream, I never really felt a high or a crash. I had to change my patch every three days. On the third day I felt pretty crappy till I was able to change the patch. So for a while this was what we felt was a great blessing. Eventually I developed a tolerance to the medicine and needed to strengthen the dose. This happened a couple of times throughout the year, but it was helping so my doctor, my husband, and I felt this was the course of action we should take. I began to change a lot in my personality. I was tired all the time due to the dose of medicine. I remember one day I went to the doctor because I had not been able to find anything else to help with the damage from my accident. He told me that I would probably have to stay on the patch for many years. I asked him about my tolerance and he told me that I might want to consider a morphine pump! Say whaaaaa....? I came home after the news and saw my husband Mike and my two darling friends sitting on the grass talking. I ran into Mike's arms and completely fell apart. I sobbed in his arms. After I gained my composure, I told the three of them what the doctor had told me. I knew that I could not continue down this path. I had changed so much, and the drugs were never going to be a permanent thing. What was I gonna do? I could not stand the toll they were taking on me, but the pain...the crazy ridiculous pain... I continued on the patch for a short time, and actually decreased the dose. I told my doctor that staying on these things permanently was not on option. We talked about a weaning process. I decided that I would try to wean. All in all I was on the pain patch for three years. My pain had not really improved, but I couldn't handle the toll they were taking on me and my family. I was going to have to learn to use my "brain power", to help me with my pain. I went into the hospital to go off the medicine cold turkey... WOW! This was the worst experience ever. I had no idea how awful detoxing was. I was such a naive little thing. I had never done drugs or drank or anything of the sort. The first days of my detox were the worst. I had uncontrollable shakes, I felt every inch of my body waking up. My skin was extremely irritated and sensitive. I felt every single cell in my body reacting to the horrible withdrawal. I was sweating, no appetite, sleeping was very difficult, my heart raced and pounded, I had stomach and bowel issues... My muscles and bones hurt intensely, and I could not bear the darkness in my head. It feels like the worst flu bug you can imagine. I wanted to die or give up, but I held on. My Heavenly Father, my husband, my family, my friends, and the hospital staff were an amazing support. After a week I got to come home! I had made it! I had the most amazing experience and had gained a new respect for those who struggle with addiction. I now understood the vice that these drugs had, and how hard they were to get off them. They compare Phentanyl to a type of heroine. So you can imagine how hard this was. Somehow with God's sweet grace I made it through. I am ever grateful for my experience and all that I learned, especially about myself. As time went on my anxiety and depression went away. I was going to therapy to help learn how to manage my pain with my mind. I was doing it. Eventually after about six weeks I began to feel like my old self again. I felt like the dark clouds had lifted and I could see and feel the sunshine again. The fog had lifted. My pain was ever present, but I felt so much better being off those drugs! I have learned with amazement that anything is possible! I had an amazing support system. I am so grateful for those around me that were my strength through the hard times. I found ways to help my chronic pain, and am still working on this challenge, but I am faring very well. Now...I need to get control of my health and weight. So how can I come off of a strong drug so successfully, but not be able to keep the weight off? This is my dilemma I am finding myself in. I am obviously a determined gal, so why can't I do this? Why is this the one thing I can't do? I am on a path of discovering the answer to this problem. Meanwhile, I am discouraged that I wasn't able to stick my seemingly easy goal. Well today is a new day, and I am gonna try again. I will remain positive... I can do this! I am going to succeed! :)  

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you can do anything! We all have days that we don't do everything we wanted to (like every day for me!) but there's always another day to try again! You have been through so much - thanks for sharing your trials & successes. Good to be in touch again! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't best yourself up. It's one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete