Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Another of my funny medical experiences!

Funny story. Yesterday I had a colonoscopy done. I have had one done before so I knew what to expect. This office does things a little differently though, as I was soon to find out. So there I was, up on the table in the procedure room with my cheese in the wind... and the sweet nurse rolls me over and  begins to tell me about the drugs she was going to be giving me. Thank heavens you get something beneficial out of it. I was relieved to be given them because my anxiety is always high in these type of situations. Especially because I was nervous about the results. As she administers the drugs, she informs me that they will be filling me with gas so they can get a better look at the bowel. I smiled goofily and mumbled okay. I didn't care what they did to me at this point. I was feeling good. My head became fuzzy, and I drifted off to sleep. When I awoke about fifteen minutes later my stomach hurt so much. As I became more coherent I told the nurse who was wheeling me into recovery that I was hurting. She said very kindly, "Remember I told you that we filled you with gas, so in order for you to feel better you need to pass gas."  She told me that every-time I felt pain I needed to push and let it out, that it was necessary to do this or you cannot relieve your pain, and it will make you sick. So I just tried to make the best of it, because it was really painful. Oh the humiliation! Not only was my Mother there with me, cause I could not drive home, but the recovery room was filled with nurses, doctors, and other patients. So again my tummy rumbled with terrible pain and pressure....FERVVVVT! Ah sweet relief! It was not long however, when the pain returned and I again needed to relieve myself. I wondered how long this was going to take? I was talking to my Mom, and as we were talking, I told her how embarrased I was farting in front of everybody. I tried so hard to talk over my rumbling guts, and the sound of the music I was creating. I tried to be discreet, but to no avail. The nurses looked unfazed as I know that they are used to this. I can't imagine going off to work everyday to the musical stylings of their patients instruments. How they must giggle, and have such tales to tell. I am sure they have some good ones. When all of the sudden, to my amusement didst hear, but another trumpeting from someone else's rear! All those people's cheeks a flapping and a slapping! I started to giggle and replied to my Mom, oh this is so funny! I figured at least we are all in this together. It will leave me with a great story to tell nonetheless. A hilarious picture entered my mind, (I will turn it into a story for your enjoyment).
I imagined all of us patients tucked up as we'd toot. All behind little curtains in the recovery room. All tossing and turning and being so bold, we did do exactly just what we were told. How not we should hold, breaking wind, one, two, three....as we did, we felt better, and our pain was set free. The curtains blew out every minute or two, some were green and some were blue. They'd blow back and forth, and they'd go to and fro, like a rippling ribbon someone had just flown. The curtains looked as if they had been punched with a gust, when what to our ears, a patient did bust! One by one, here and there, a painful affair. For some of these patients, so deep their despair. A patient would sigh, for relief they did seek. Being free of the air, from their chest to their cheeks. Also was there, a small quiet giggle, from the people by the bedside, their loved ones they'd wiggle. Then the nurse she would come to the curtain she'd peek, her patient she'd ask, have you any wind between your cheeks? Those silly gowns oh how they did flow, from the patients' behinds came a terrible blow. We patients did suffer, we'd rock to and fro. The pain in our tummies, a perilous woe. While with each musical styling echoing throughout this room, the wind being made from a patient or two, makes the nurses hair blow back, from a most triumphant brood. It was a Musical definitely unlike any other, but it makes each of us laugh as we share it with another. At least it was my Mother, who sat there next to me, so that when the moment came to be, we'd laugh about my misery. My favorite part to my surprise, was that of another's powerful good-byes. A man on the other side of the room, let out a fart that I'd swear said BAROOM! I think even the stingiest a fellow, would smile to himself as the room began to mellow.
 Man this experience made me me laugh! Which of course helped little me, because of the vibrations from the laughing, it helped make me free!!!!! How nothing better to help deal with my woe, than the riotous sound of a gas passing blow!
Ah laughter, and making yourself laugh, when things are sad, bad, and just plain uncomfortable. Nothing in life helps you to deal with the troubles of life, then with the ability to laugh. I am grateful for my sense of humor, and I hope you enjoy this story, as much as I do. I hope it at least brings a smile to your face! :)

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing writer!.... Thanks for the laugh..I needed it today more than you could know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britney, you are so funny! I loved this. I hope the pain didn't last too long, though. Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete